Population of the canton: 469'000 inhabitants.
Altitude: 373 m above sea level
Surface of the canton : 282 km2
Official language: french
Geneva Tourism Office :18 rue du Mont-blanc / +41 22 909 70 00
Publics transports : www.tpg.ch
With the Geneva Transport Card, You can have access to buses, tramways and boats.
Taxis / Limousines / Autocars: Swisstours Transport / +41 22 781 04 04
• The water fountain: Five-hundred litres (132 gallons) of water per second are jetted to an altitude of 140 metres (459 feet) by two 500 kW pumps, the fountain is one of city’s most famous landmarks.
• Flower clock: A symbol of the Geneva watch industry of world renown, the famous flower clock, located at the edge of the Jardin Anglais (English Garden) since 1955, is a masterpiece of technology and floral art.
• St Peter’s Cathedral : Protestant cathedral since 1536, it was built between the le 12th and the 13th.
• The wall of the reformers : In front of the university buildings, this wall represent monumentals statues who were the emblematics figures of the reformation and the Protestantism.
• Place Neuve: Built outside the former ramparts, the Place Neuve has become the focal point of Genevan culture. It comprises the Grand-Théâtre (opera), the reputed Conservatory of Music and the Rath Museum, internationally renowned for its temporary exhibitions.
• Place of Nations: Symbolic place in the heart of the international organisations area.
• Place Bourg-de-Four: In the very heart of the Old Town, the Place du Bourg-de-Four has always been a meeting place. Still today, hosts of Genevans gather around its lovely 18th century flowered fountain or on the terrace of a picturesque bistrot.
Patek Philippe Museum : This museum exhibits important collections of horology and enamelling of Swiss and European origin, dating from the 16th to the 20th century.
Red Cross international Museum : Only museum devoted to the CICR, it displays his entire history.
United Nations Palace : The office at Geneva is the most important after NY headquarters.
Art and History museum : Designed as an encyclopedic museum, it covers the whole of western culture, from its origin to the present days through archaeology, fine Arts and Applied Arts like Konrad Witz, Monet or Renoir.
Maison Tavel : The Tavel house, example of Swiss architecture, is a privileged witness of the urban history and daily life in Geneva.
Museum of the Reformation : Located in the prestigious Mallet House, presents the history of the Reformation, from its beginning until our days and also the work and influence of John Calvin in Geneva and abroad. Objects, manuscripts, rare books, paintings,
Saint-Peter’s cathedral : The subsoil of Saint-Peter’s cathedral abd the Chapel « des macchabées » present one of the most important archaeological site north of the Alps.
Keytours SA :
Is organising guided tours by coach. All guides are Tous les guides sont trilinguals.
Geneva city tour every day at 1.30 pm
Chamonix – Mont-blanc every day at 8.30 am
During the high season you can enjoy more tours like Lausanne-Montreux-Chillon, Gruyères golden.
STT Trains Tours SA :
Is organising mini-trains tours and trolleys with audio commentaries.
You can join the Old town Tour or the parcs and residences tours on the right bank of the lake.You can also visiting the international area.
Les mouettes Genevoises Navigation:
You can cross the Geneva lake with the mouettes genevoises, Your Geneva transport card include them in the tickets as publics transports.
Is organising cruises like :
Cruise of the mermaid. Duration : 1h15
Croisière along the Rhône : Duration : 2h45
Cruise of the Parks and famous residences. Duration : 2 heures
The Compagnie Générale de Navigation du Léman
CGN owns the world's biggest fleet, (in terms of passengers capacity), on Belle Epoque ships. These ships have been sailing you on one of the most beautiful Central Europe lakes for 135 years, with their paddle wheels rhythm.
Beautiful shores of Geneva Duration: 55 minutes
Gourmet cruises (lunch and dinner)
Rent bikes : www.geneveroule.ch
Home made market : place de la Fusterie, wenesdays and saturdays
Flea market : Plainpalais, wenesdays and saturdays
Going out in Geneva :
Looking for a good restaurant ?
Cheap prices :
· Buvette des bains des Paquis(30 quai du Mont –Blanc), relaxed atmosphere, simple food (salad, menu of the day)
· Migros self-service, (centre commercial des cygnes), just for lunch, good value for money
· Chez ma cousine (5 rue lissignol), rustic design, friendly, chicken speciality
Middle prices :
· Le Savièse, (20 rue des Paquis), swiss food, cheese, raclette.
· Restaurant Edelweiss, (2 place de la Navigation, Genève), atmosphere typically swiss, choices of menus with musical backing (Reservation : 022 544 51 51)
· Le Relais Bristol, (10 rue du Mont-blanc), restaurant serves refined Mediterranean cuisine in an elegant atmosphere.
· Restaurant les Armures, (rue du Puits-Saint-Pierre), Rustic decoration, serves typical Swiss and French specialities
· Restaurant Au Phil du temps, (1 pont de la machine), The style is very contemporary, both in the decor and the cuisine
· Café Papon ; (1 rue Henry-Fazy), Typical brasseie in the old town, frequented by local politic men
Looking for a good bar ?
During the summer, you can easily reach the old town at Place Bourg de four, where you can enjoy a cup of coffee or having a good time in a good restaurants.
· Mr Pickwick : (80 rue de Lausanne), Geneva’s oldest english pub
· Les brasseurs, (20, place de Cornavin), 1st home-made brewery of Geneva
· Le scandale, (24 rue de Lausanne), gay friendly
· Alhambar, (10 rue de la rotisserie), theme nights
· Gabs, (12 rue de Zurich), music jazz, lounge
Looking for a show ?
· La Garçonnière, (4 bis rue de la rôtisserie), gay night club, music show, really friendly for everyone
(website : www.lagarconniere.ch)
· Palais Mascotte, (43 rue de Berne), music live, show (website : www.palaismascotte.ch)
Looking for a nightclub ?
· Java club, (24 quai du Mont-blanc), elegant, stylish, house rnb (website : www.javaclub.ch)
· White’n’silver, (15 rue des Glacis-de-rives), trendy, all styles (website : www.whitensilver.ch)
· Le Petit Palace, (6 rue de la Tour-de-Boël), relax, all styles (website : www.lepetitpalace.ch)
Shopping hours :
Monday-Friday: 9h – 19h
Thursday (nocturnal): 9h – 21 h
Saturday : 9h – 18h
International Motor Show: middle of march (website : www.salon-auto.ch)
Music festival : june (website : www.fetedelamusique.ch)
Geneva festival : end of july (website : www.fetesdegeneve.ch)
Fête de l’Escalade: middle of december (website : www.1602.ch)